Southern Exposure: Sucheta Das
I took this photo of 25-year-old Rehana Khatoon’s feet in 2004. She told me that the wrinkling was caused by drinking arsenic-contaminated water and that her husband had left her because of her affliction. Arsenic is a naturally occurring element in groundwater, but when people are exposed to it by drinking contaminated water from tube wells, as Rehana was in her home state of West Bengal, India, serious health consequences can result, including diarrhoea, dysentery, typhoid, cholera, and hepatitis.
Sucheta Das/Majority World
Help us produce more like this
Patreon is a platform that enables us to offer more to our readership. With a new podcast, eBooks, tote bags and magazine subscriptions on offer, as well as early access to video and articles, we’re very excited about our Patreon! If you’re not on board yet then check it out here.