The dancer While trying to do an assignment of my own at an artists’ camp I spotted the dancer.
A fellow artist doing his own performance near the Kandalama Lake at Dambulla.
I stood there for a while trying to see what the crowd was watching.
To me his movements brought a sense of rhythm.
It was only then that I decided to do my project on ‘the dancer’.
I have a few more of this performance. But this is the most subtle, the most rhythmic, of them all.
A moment, a memory, a wind, a dance... all in one.
A childhood fantasy, combining art with rhythm, dance with soul.
A lens with feelings.Drik Picture Library Ltd
This article is from
the March 2004 issue
of New Internationalist.
- Discover unique global perspectives
- Support cutting-edge independent media
- Magazine delivered to your door or inbox
- Digital archive of over 500 issues
- Fund in-depth, high quality journalism