New Internationalist

New disaster looms for young survivors of Sendong

It is no secret that in times of disasters and calamities, children are the most vulnerable.

They cannot help themselves during difficult times, and so the trauma doubles or triples for this vulnerable sector.

The children of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan, the provinces in northern Mindanao in the southern Philippines, which are the areas hardest hit by tropical storm Sendong, are no exception.

But another disaster looms for them and other members of the community who are already vulnerable, according to a report released last month by the UN Office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

According to the UN, 87,500 children are at risk of child abuse, which becomes rampant in disaster-stricken areas and in evacuation centres. 

‘There is a lack of protection mechanisms for vulnerable sub-groups, such as pregnant and lactating women, female heads of households, single women, people with disabilities and the elderly. There are also no community-based child protection networks in evacuation centres,’ the UN said.

The report noted that some children have been separated from their parents or are unaccompanied.

‘Around 87,500 children require registration and camp co-ordination to protect them from abuse, exploitation and trafficking in evacuation centres. Aside from school buildings, some child development centres remain totally damaged or destroyed,’ the report stated.

In the same report, UNICEF said that it is mobilizing the Child Protection Working Group (CPWG) partners to conduct assessments of the evacuation centres.

UNICEF and other international groups are working with the government of Iligan to protect children from any ‘exploitation, abuse and trafficking’.

As a strong advocate for child rights, I fervently hope that the state will direct its resources to where they need to be. Government institutions such as the Departments of Health and Social Welfare and Development should take the lead in ensuring psycho-social protection for women and children.

Tropical storm Sendong struck last year, on the cold Friday night of 16 December.

More than a month later, survivors have yet to pick up the pieces of their lives. They need all the help they can get.

As I write this, many of the victims are still in evacuation centres, in borrowed homes, in temporary shelters. Most of those whose homes have been washed away are still struggling to rebuild their lives.

Photo of children in an evacuation centre by Iris Gonzales.

Comments on New disaster looms for young survivors of Sendong

Leave your comment







 

  • Maximum characters allowed: 5000
  • Simple HTML allowed: bold, italic, and links

Registration is quick and easy. Plus you won’t have to re-type the blurry words to comment!
Register | Login

...And all is quiet.

Subscribe to Comments for this articleArticle Comment Feed RSS 2.0

Guidelines: Please be respectful of others when posting your reply.

About the author

Iris Gonzales a New Internationalist contributor

Iris Cecilia Gonzales is a Filipino journalist and blogger. At present, she covers economic news for a Manila broadsheet, but she also writes other stories here and there. She has been blogging since 2004 on various issues including women and children and human rights. She is among the winners in the TH!NK 3 global blogging competition organized by the Netherlands-based European Journalism Centre.

You may email her at [email protected]

Read more by Iris Gonzales

Get our free fortnightly eNews

Multimedia

Videos from visionOntv’s globalviews channel.

Related articles

Popular tags

All tags

The Majority World Blog

Get a different view on the global zeitgeist from our dedicated team of Majority World bloggers, blogging from Africa, Asia and Latin America.

The Majority World Blog