West Papua needs our help - act now!
We have just received this email from Benny Wenda, exiled West Papuan independence leader, and long-time friend of the NI. The situation in West Papua is deteriorating rapidly as the Indonesian military attempt to crush opposition in Tingginambut district. He is asking for our help, in solidarity with his people. Please take the time to read his message below, and contact some or all of the officials he suggests. International scrutiny on the situation could make all the difference at this crucial moment.
If you are unfamiliar with the Papuan peoples' long-running struggle for freedom and independence from Indonesia, have a look at our magazine on the subject, and check Benny's Free West Papua website for updates as the situation unfolds.
Dear Friend of West Papua,
It is with great sadness that I write to let you know about a humanitarian crisis that is developing in Puncak Jaya region of the West Papua highlands. Indonesian military have been launching sweeping operations for the past week in the Tingginambut district. Homes in three villages have been burnt, two people killed, one lady raped, and all livestock killed by Indonesian military.
The Indonesian military are trying to find Papua freedom fighters led by Goliath Tabuni and have set a deadline of 28th June for them to surrender. But there will never be any surrender by the Papuan people in our struggle. We all want freedom.
The people of West Papua need your help to put pressure on the Indonesia Government before something terrible happen on 28th June.
We need United Nations to send peacekeeping force to West Papua immediately. We need foreign media and human rights groups allowed to Papua immediately.
Why does Indonesia not allow any journalists or human rights groups to enter? It is because they do not want the world to know what they are doing to my people?
Please find below contact details for high officials in the police and military in West Papua. Your support can make big difference.
Thank you for your kindness and support for us.
Make phone call, send fax or send the letter to:
1.Man of the Responsible Military Operation in Tinginambut Head of Puncak Jaya, Regency LUKAS ENEMBE, Mobile: +62 8128349090
2.Man of the Give the Bayet to Militari Operation in Hall West Papua Governor of Papua Barnabas Suebu office, Telephone: +62 967-534395
3.AKBP. Drs. MH Ritonga, Msi Head of Jaya Wijaya District Police (Kepala Kepolisian Resort Jaya Wijaya) Jl. Sapri Darwin Nomor 1 Jaya Wijaya, Provinsi Papua INDONESIA, Tel: +62 969 3268, Mobile 62 8128281991, Fax: +62 969 31075
4. Lieutenant Colonel. Inf. Septinus Eduard Ginting Commander of District Military command 1702 of Jaya Wijaya Regency (Kodim 1702 Kabupaten Jaya Wijaya Provinsi Papua) INDONESIA, Tel: + 62969-31085, Fax: +62 969 31086
5. Gen. A.V. Nasution Commander of Regional Military Command XVII Cendrawasih, (Kemiliteran Daerah Papua / Kodam Papua) Jl. Polimak atas Jayapura Provinsi, Papua INDONESIA, Fax. +62 967 533763, Tel: +62 969-31085
6. Mr. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono President of Republic of Indonesia, Presidential Palace, Jl. Medan Merdeka Utara Jakarta Pusat 10010 INDONESIA, Tel: +62 21 384 5627, ext. 1003, Fax: +62 21 231 4138, 345 2685, 345 7782, Email: [email protected]
7. General Djoko Santoso The Indonesian Military Commander (Panglima TNI), Markas Besar TNI, Cilangkap, Jakarta 13870 INDONESIA, Tel: +62 8459-1244, 8459-1243, Fax: +62 845-6805
8. General Bambang Hendarso Danuri Chief of Indonesian National Police Jl., Trunojoyo No. 3 Jakarta Selatan INDONESIA, Tel: +62 21 721 8012, Fax: +62 21 720 7277, Email: [email protected]
Help us keep this site free for all
New Internationalist is a lifeline for activists, campaigners and readers who value independent journalism. Please support us with a small recurring donation so we can keep it free to read online.