Binayak Sen released on bail
Here’s a press release from the Indian American Muslim Council with some good news on the case of Dr Binayak Sen, whose plight New Internationalist has covered over the past few years:
The Indian American Muslim Council, an advocacy group dedicated to safeguard India’s pluralist and tolerant ethos, welcomes the Supreme Court of India’s decision to grant bail to noted human rights activist Dr Binayak Sen.
IAMC, along with its friends in the international human rights community, is relieved that the apex court has taken the first step in putting an end to a series of grave injustices committed against an innocent man at the behest of powerful business interests by the BJP led Chhattisgarh government.
‘The Supreme Court’s move to drop sedition charges against Binayak Sen restores the credibility of India’s justice system that was severely damaged by the lower court earlier this year,’ said Mr Shaheen Khateeb, President of IAMC.
‘We commend the persistence of all our friends and coalition partners everywhere along with the 22 Nobel Laureates who campaigned for the past four years to demand Justice for Dr Sen,’ Mr Khateeb added.
IAMC demands a thorough and expedited review by the Supreme Court of the alleged conviction of Dr Sen and hopes that the apex court would intervene appropriately to right the many wrongs committed against Dr Sen by the lower courts.
Who is Binayak Sen?
* He has worked for 25 years as a doctor with tribals in Chhattisgarh
* Vice President of People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL)
* Criticized state-sponsored militia Salwa Judum for rights violations and misuse of powers
* Was a member of State Committee on Health Sector Reforms
* Won several awards for contribution to health and human rights including the Jonathan Mann Award for Global Health and Human Rights by the Global Health Council.
Help us produce more like this
Patreon is a platform that enables us to offer more to our readership. With a new podcast, eBooks, tote bags and magazine subscriptions on offer, as well as early access to video and articles, we’re very excited about our Patreon! If you’re not on board yet then check it out here.