Do it Yourself
A handbook for changing our world
Climate change, resource wars, privatisation, the growing gap between rich and poor, politicians that don't listen...
Massive issues, but how can we make any difference? Do It Yourself: A Handbook for Changing Our World shows how. It's not a book about what's wrong with the world, but a collection of dynamic ideas which explore how we can build radical and meaningful social change, ourselves here and now.
The book weaves together analysis, stories and experiences. It combines in-depth analytical chapters followed by easy to follow 'How to Guides' with practical ideas for change. Taken together, these small steps can move us towards taking back control of our lives from governments and corporations.
Written and edited by activists and grassroots campaigners, Do It Yourself is part of a growing response from the global social justice movement. The book reflects on their experiences covering nine different areas:
• Low impact living - reducing your energy consumption
• Decision making - organising without leaders
• Food - setting up and growing a community garden
• Health - organising a health collective
• Education - inspiring change through learning together
• Alternative media - challenging the mainstream by creating your own media
• Autonomous spaces - setting up and running a social centre
• Cultural activism - unleashing creative potential
• Direct action -building and maintaining effective campaigns
The Handbook for Changing Our World is edited by the Trapese Collective in the UK, and is the first book to be published by Pluto Press under the ground-breaking Creative Commons license allowing greater rights for non-commercial uses.
170 x 205 mm, 299 pages, 60 illustrations, paperback.
they say about NI..
M Tutu, Archbishop of Cape Town
“New Internationalist is independent, lively and properly provocative,
helping to keep its readers abreast of important developments in parts of our
globe that risk marginalisation. Read it!.”
World Map Poster
in true proportion, laminated
include: Animal Rights, Arms
Caste & Hierarchies,
Change, Conflict & Peace, Democracy, Equality, Fair
Trade, Global Finance, Global
Media, Global Surveillance, Globalization, Global Terrorism, Green Politics,
HIV/AIDS, Human Rights, Indigenous
Migration, Islam, Religion, Science, Sexual Diversity, United Nations, Water, Women, World Food, World Health, World
History, World Music, World Population & World